The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for Melbourne this afternoon.
The gusty thunderstorm is likely to hit Melbourne at around 2:30PM.
It will produce damaging winds in the next few hours.
Cool change now expected through the CBD around 2.30pm
— Bureau of Meteorology, Victoria (@BOM_Vic) November 21, 2019
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Check that loose item such as outdoor settings, umbrellas and trampolines are safely secured and move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Stay indoors and away from windows.
* If outdoors, move to a safe place indoors. Stay away from trees, drains, gutters, creeks and waterways.
* If driving conditions are dangerous, safely pull over away from trees, drains, low-lying areas and floodwater. Avoid travel if possible.
* Stay safe by avoiding dangerous hazards, such as floodwater, mud, debris, damaged roads and fallen trees.
* Stay away from fallen powerlines always assume they are live.
* Stay informed monitor weather warnings, forecasts and river levels at the Bureau of Meteorology website, and warnings through VicEmergency.