A mother was strangled to death after a scarf she was wearing got caught in a food processor while baking a cake with her son.

The 58-year-old woman and her 15-year-old son were cooking in the kitchen of their home in St Etienne, France, when her scarf became tangled in the mixer.

The teenager called emergency services and told to immediately unplug the food processor and cut his mum’s scarf.

When they arrived, however, she couldn’t be revived.

A post-mortem is yet to be carried out.

The make and model of the appliance isn’t known.