A severe weather warning has been issued for Melbourne this evening.
The city can expect to see heavy winds averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts of around 100 km/h.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Be aware that trees that have been damaged by heat or fire may be unstable and more likely to fall when it is windy or wet.
* Check that loose items such as outdoor settings, umbrellas and trampolines are safely secured and move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Stay indoors and away from windows.
* If outdoors, move to a safe place indoors. Stay away from trees, drains, gutters, creeks and waterways.
* If driving conditions are dangerous, safely pull over away from trees, drains, low-lying areas and floodwater. Avoid travel if possible.
* Stay safe by avoiding dangerous hazards, such as floodwater, mud, debris, damaged roads and fallen trees.
* Stay away from fallen powerlines always assume they are live.