A grandmother-to-be has died after a gender reveal went tragically wrong in the United States.

Pamela Kreimeyer, 56, died after debris hit her in the head during a gender-reveal explosion in rural Iowa.

She was 14 metres away from the explosion.

The family accidentally created a deadly malfunctioning pipe bomb with the device.

The device was meant to use gunpowder to blast coloured powder out the top of a stand, but instead it sent shrapnel flying outwards.

“Members of the Kreimeyer family were experimenting with different types of explosive material on Friday and Saturday,” a statement from the Sheriff’s office said.

“This family got together for what they thought was going to be a happy event with no intent for anyone to get hurt.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

“What ended up happening was that Pamela Kreimeyer, a wife, mother and grandmother, was killed by a piece of metal where a metal stand, gunpowder and coloured powder were involved.

“This is a reminder that anytime someone mixes these things there is a high potential for serious injury or death; please do not take these unnecessary risks. My condolences go out to the family.”