“The limited release, in under 10 per cent of the amount of theatres originally planned, featured numerous sellouts and a first-day gross over $US1 million ($A1.08 million),” said Rory Bruer, global distribution president from Sony Pictures, on Friday.
Raunchy comedy The Interview has taken in a million dollars in its limited release opening day, Sony Studios says, after the company and movie theatres were threatened by hackers.
After initially planning to halt release of the film about the fictional assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un The Interview opened in about 300 cinemas, mostly small independent theatres on December 25.
The film was also released online for rental or purchase.
Major US theatre chains announced last week that they would not show the film after threats from hackers who claimed a cyber attack of Sony Studios.
The low-brow comedy featuring Seth Rogen and James Franco sparked an international incident when it infuriated North Korea who the US has blamed for the cyber attack.
“Considering the incredibly challenging circumstances, we are extremely grateful to the people all over the country who came out to experience The Interview on the first day of its unconventional release,” Bruer said in a statement.
The film played to packed theatres across the US, with many viewers coming out to make a statement about free speech.
Online services for Sony’s PlayStation and Microsoft’s Xbox gaming consoles, which had decided to release the film online, went down Thursday, allegedly attacked by hackers.
A file sharing website reported the film had been illegally downloaded over 750,000 times.
Online views of the film had not yet been released.
Want more? Here's one of our fave moments from Jase & PJ – they’re always up to something! Weekdays from 6AM on KIIS 101.1!