An Italian grandmother faces charges after accidentally poisoning herself and her family with hot chocolate made from sachets that expired in 1990.

The grandma, known as Mrs Rosetta, found the sachets in her cupboard and made cups of hot cocoa for herself, her two grandchildren, their friend, her partner, her son and herself.

Not long afterwards, all who had consumed the drinks began experiencing diarrhoea and vomiting, and had to be taken to the emergency room.

It is believed that the hot chocolate sachets had been sitting in her cupboard since the late 80s.

Mrs Rosetta has been charged with causing injury and a file has been passed to prosecutors for consideration.

Want more? Here's one of our fave moments from Jase & Lauren – they’re always up to something! Weekdays from 6AM on KIIS 101.1!