AN AUSSIE MOTHER HAS HAD A TERRIFYING EXPERIENCE AFTER HER DAUGHTER ATE POPCORN. 

You wouldn’t think something like popcorn would be harmful, but apparently, you’d be wrong.

Cheree Lawrence outlined her daughter’s five-week ordeal on her blog Oh So Busy Mum:

“Please remember to always trust your gut instinct and to advocate if needed for your child,” Lawernce wrote.

“She had eaten popcorn before; all my kids have grown up having popcorn in their lunchbox. I had no idea how dangerous it is for young children to aspirate on, or that children under 5 shouldn’t have popcorn at all.”

Her three-year-old choked on one of the kernels and was given some water to wash it down:

“Within minutes she developed a cough and started wheezing — not realising the seriousness of it or knowing that she had actually aspirated on popcorn. We watched her, and over the next 30 minutes her wheeze started to get worse, so we decided to take her to the emergency room.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

Doctors initially thought it might not be the popcorn as she was responding well to the Ventolin she was given. 

But after five weeks, the wheezing was still there, so a GP advised her to get an x-ray.

After the results found inflammation in her long she was soon taken into emergency surgery to remove the piece of popcorn that she had in fact aspirated on 5 weeks earlier.

But sadly Cheree lamented:

“It was too late! The damage was done. The popcorn had caused some damage to her lung because it sat there for 5 long weeks and slowly started breaking down.” Lawrence.

While her daughter thankfully survived, she urged parents:

Advertisement
Advertisement

“Please remember to always trust your gut instinct and to advocate if needed for your child. Doctors can and do get it wrong all the time and us as parents know our children and know when something is off with them.”