KIIS 101.1
NON-STOP KIIS

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Barnaby Joyce Wants Sexual Harassment Claim Sorted 'ASAP'

Barnaby Joyce has declared he wants the sexual harassment complaint against him to be resolved as soon as possible.

Mr Joyce quit as deputy prime minister in February after it emerged he had been accused by former West Australian Rural Woman of the Year Catherine Marriott of harassment.

The former Nationals leader told the ABC he wanted the complaint "finalised ASAP", saying the issue has "been hanging over my head for too long".

When the complaint was revealed Mr Joyce dismissed it as spurious and defamatory.

But he conceded the 2011 allegation was the final straw causing him to resign amid a political storm surrounding his affair with former media adviser Vikki Campion, who has since given birth to their son.

The couple's paid TV interview on Sunday reignited calls for Mr Joyce to leave politics after he labelled unnamed colleagues "scum".

But Mr Joyce is digging in, emailing Nationals branch members in New England to confirm his intention to stay on in the seat and contest the next federal election.

Nationals leader Michael McCormack has not explicitly endorsed his predecessor, saying the final decision rests with party branch members.

It comes as senior NSW Nationals state MP Kevin Humphries, who lives in New England, urged Mr Joyce to quit politics for the good of the party.

"To be rescued from this is virtually impossible. He pretty much wrote his political death warrant last week with that interview," Mr Humphries told Network Ten.

Mr Joyce's former political nemesis and independent MP Tony Windsor believes the beleaguered former Nationals leader will bow out before the next election.

AAP

Share this: